What has become common place in the offices today is having a workstation that is ergonomically sound. Proper posture and equipment positioning is paramount to preventing workplace injuries. Employees that are working in offices that have ergonomic chairs, desks are more productive and reap the benefits of having better health as well.
As an employer, you can take steps to ensure your employees are making changes to their workstations to ensure they are benefiting from ergonomic adjustments. Not only can you make changes to your current office design but you can add ergonomic pieces to your current design to ensure that you are taking advantage of the benefits these pieces can give to your employees.
What is Ergonomics?
To put it simply, ergonomics is the study of productivity, health, and efficiency. Those who specialize in ergonomics look at how office design and office furniture can improve employee health and productivity.
Below, we have outlined our ergonomic tips as well as a infographic to help you better prepare your ergonomic workstations.
Sitting all day in any office chair can be damaging to our health. Sitting is now the new smoking among many health experts. To help elevate some of the damage from sitting all day, we recommend:
- Try to sit as far back in your chair as possible
- If your chair has armrests, remove them if you are uncomfortable
- If you want to keep the armrests, adjust them to a level that allows your shoulders to be in a relaxed position.
- Ensure that your back in supported in the chair.
- Make sure the back of your chair is reclined to an angle of 100°
- Your feet should rest flat on the floor, adjust your seat to allow this to happen.
- While seated, your knees should be slightly lower than or even with your hips
Positioning of Your Desk and Workstation
If possible, we suggest implementing a sit to stand desk to that will give you the flexibility to move your desk to allow you to stand at different moments during your day – hence less sitting. A sit to stand desk will also give the ability to adjust your keyboard to prevent you from straining to reach to your keyboard and other essential items on your desktop.
You want to make sure that your keyboard or laptop is positioned in way that allows you to relax your shoulders while you’re working. A few key tips:
- Ensure that keyboard/laptop is directly in front of you
- Make sure you pull your chair close to the desk so that you can reach the keyboard/laptop comfortably.
- Your elbows open slightly while you are typing.
- Make sure you are also keeping your wrists and hands straight
As for other items on your desktop within your workstation:
- Ensure that your mouse close to your keyboard/laptop – so you don’t have to reach far.
- Move your phone within reach.
- Ensure that your computer screen is at eye level. It should be directly in front of you and your keyboard.
At PVI Office Furniture, we have ergonomic office furniture solutions for every budget and not only do we sell ergonomic office furniture, our sales team can work with you on ensure that your workstation is designed to be healthy for you and your employees. For more tips and information on our ergonomic office furniture solutions, stop by our Frederick, Md showroom and speak with our team today or visit our website at pvipvi.com to learn more. You can chat live with our team 7 days a week!
About PVI Office Furniture
At PVI Office Furniture, we can help you transform your office space into functional office space that works with practical office designs to meet your budget needs. Let our Office Furniture Consultants show you how we deliver on fast, excellent, affordable office furniture designs for every budget. Contact our staff today or visit our Frederick, MD showroom to see our selection of new and pre-owned office furniture. We are a full-service office furniture solution for every size business in the Washington, D.C., Maryland and Northern Virginia region. You can also keep up to date with PVI on our social media platforms for the latest updates on our new and used office furniture arrivals to our Frederick, MD showroom, news about PVI, our latest videos and more : Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.