Just because you work from home doesn’t mean you can’t have a stylish and comfortable office. But unlike a larger office space, room for your home office can often be tight. So what’s the best way to design for a home office? Let the office furniture experts at PVI help you out!
Home Office Design Tips
Unfortunately, many don’t have the necessary space to have a large, luxurious home office. So when trying to layout your home office, it’s important to make the most out of your space with efficient placement of office furniture. That way, you can fit everything in the room, without sacrificing the usability that you crave for your home office. Once you have the space for your home office picked out, here are a few tips to start maximizing your space:
- Build vertically. In the tighter space of a home office, using the height of the room is essential. This means installing shelves on the walls in order to fit the office supplies and decorations you want in your office. By taking full advantage of your wall space and the verticality of your home office, you can create a more open floor plan that won’t leave you feeling claustrophobic.
- Take advantage of your natural light. One of the best things about working from your home office is escaping the harsh fluorescent lights of the office. If the office space you’ve picked out for your home office has a window that lands in direct sunlight, position your desk so that you can experience the benefits of having light shine on your desk without the downside of screen glare. You can do this by either facing your window, or by positioning your desk perpendicular to the window. Natural light has been found to increase productivity, so be sure to take advantage!
- Make sure your chair is on the right surface. If your desk chair has wheels, the surface of your home office could be an issue. Fortunately, there are easy fixes! If your home has hardwood floors, buying a plastic mat will eliminate scratching and marks on your floors. If you have carpet, your wheels could get stuck, limiting your mobility. The same mat should work just fine for this, too.
Best Furniture for Your Home Office
Once you have your space picked out and set up, it’s time to start picking furniture. Here are some things to consider when choosing your home office furniture:
- Find the right desk. While you likely won’t be able to fit a huge desk with a return in your home office, there are smaller desks that will provide the right amount of space with easily accessible storage. Through our new desk vendor, OfficeSource, we can provide desks that are both small enough to fit in even the tiniest home offices, yet efficient enough to incorporate much-needed storage space.
- Decide which file cabinets fit best in your home office. You’re going to need storage space for all your documents. That means finding the right file cabinets that provide the appropriate amount of storage without sacrificing style. Whether you want wood file cabinets that are longer, or metal file cabinets that are taller, PVI can provide you with the style that best suits your home office.
Contact PVI Today for New and Used Office Furniture for Your Home Office
PVI offers high-quality new and used office furniture. To learn more, stop by our Frederick office furniture warehouse it’s the largest in the state, so you know you’ll find something you’ll like! Contact PVI today.