How to Create the Perfect Home Office
Just because you work from home doesn’t mean you can’t have a stylish and comfortable office. But unlike a larger office space, room for your home office can often be tight. So what’s the best way to design a home office? Let the office furniture experts at PVI help you out!
Contact PVI Office Furniture online or call our team at (301) 694-7162 for help creating the perfect home office.
Home Office Design Tips
Unfortunately, many don’t have the necessary space to have a large, luxurious home office. When trying to lay out your home office, it’s important to make the most out of your space with efficient placement of office furniture. That way, you can fit everything in the room, without sacrificing the usability that you crave for your home office. Once you have the space for your home office picked out, here are a few tips to start maximizing your space:
- Build vertically. In the tighter space of a home office, using the height of the room is essential. This means installing shelves on the walls in order to fit the office supplies and decorations you want in your office. By taking full advantage of your wall space and the verticality of your home office, you can create a more open floor plan that won’t leave you feeling claustrophobic.
- Take advantage of your natural light. One of the best things about working from your home office is escaping the harsh fluorescent lights of the office. If the office space you’ve picked out for your home office has a window that lands in direct sunlight, position your desk so that you can experience the benefits of having light shine on your desk without the downside of screen glare. You can do this by either facing your window or positioning your desk perpendicular to the window. Natural light has been found to increase productivity, so be sure to take advantage!
- Make sure your chair is on the right surface. If your desk chair has wheels, the surface of your home office could be an issue. Fortunately, there are easy fixes! If your home has hardwood floors, buying a plastic mat will eliminate scratching and marks on your floors. If you have carpet, your wheels could get stuck, limiting your mobility. The same mat should work just fine for this, too.
- Bring nature into the office. The addition of plants and greenery and other natural elements can bring a home-like feel to your office space. It’s amazing the difference a plant or two can make to change the feeling of a workspace. Natural elements can soften the corporate look and feel to your office space. How green you go is up to you. You can choose to add a single potted plant in the break room to dozens of plants all around the office or as some offices do, update your space with a weekly fresh flower bouquet in the reception area. Some organizations have taken it a step further by creating roof-top garden space and green “living walls” if their office space allows. Which can be a bonus of a great team-building event as well.
- Create a unique break room. Part of your transition to a home feel to your office should be to incorporate a unique break room where your employees can unwind and relax as well as host informal meetings. Many offices are in locations where it is not possible for employees to leave during their breaks to get some fresh air. So it’s important to consider that factor in your desk. Consider adding sofas, chairs, and creature comforts in this space to give it a home-like feel. The goal is to make the space warm and inviting. Remember to keep it safe, and don’t add elements that could be a safety hazard such as throw rugs and other potential dangerous elements.
- Refreshments are a must! Investing in a good refreshment area such a coffee stand is not only going to benefit your employees but makes entertaining clients and other guests much easier than sending out for Starbucks. It’s cost-effective to have a good coffee service in house in the long run. Additionally, adding in features in your lounge area where employees can take a break, refresh with amenities that they would typically have to leave the office to fetch is also another productivity boost. Keep in mind, this is a luxury and it does cost money – but your staff and clients will absolutely love it.
- Brighten your office with art. Corporate branding and motivational posters can be very boring to stare at all day long. White walls can also lead to bored employees as well. Employees need inspiration and adding art that inspires can not only brighten your office but it can produce better productivity as well. Consider adding photos from employees – maybe you have employees who are adventurous and have some great action pics they would love to share. Or add in art pieces with colors that evoke a peaceful feeling in your office space. Get input from your staff and let them have fun deciding to fill the space with art.
At first, it may sound strange to try to make an office space feel more like home for your employees. After all, the office is for work and the intent is for people to get work done and be productive. However, as our modern offices evolve, employee morale is moving to the forefront and that can only lead to better returns on the bottom line for companies. As today’s business owners compete for the “best” employees, it’s important for owners to ensure their office spaces are inviting not only for new employees but for the retention and productivity of existing staff.
For more information on how PVI Office Furniture can you transform your office into a more home-like atmosphere, contact our office furniture consultants today.
Best Furniture for Your Home Office
Once you have your space picked out and set up, it’s time to start picking furniture. Here are some things to consider when choosing your home office furniture:
- Find the right desk. While you likely won’t be able to fit a huge desk with a return in your home office, there are smaller desks that will provide the right amount of space with easily accessible storage. Through our new desk vendor, OfficeSource, we can provide desks that are both small enough to fit in even the tiniest home offices, yet efficient enough to incorporate much-needed storage space.
- Decide which file cabinets fit best in your home office. You’re going to need storage space for all your documents. That means finding the right file cabinets that provide the appropriate amount of storage without sacrificing style. Whether you want wood file cabinets that are longer, or metal file cabinets that are taller, PVI can provide you with the style that best suits your home office.
Contact PVI Today for New & Used Office Furniture for Your Home Office
PVI offers high-quality new and used office furniture. To learn more, stop by our Frederick office furniture warehouse. It’s the largest in the state, so you know you’ll find something you’ll like!
Contact PVI today by calling (301) 694-7162, and find new ways to make your home office your dream office.